A.O. EVANS AWARD
The AO Evans Award recognizes one individual each year for outstanding contributions to the West Monroe and West Ouachita community. The person cannot be an elected official who currently holds office, nor can they be on the West Monroe-West Ouachita Chamber Board of Directors. They must also have made several contributions to the betterment of the community.
The award was first presented in 1976 to Mr. AT Mitchell. When considering a name for the new award, the Chamber Board decided to name it in honor of the founder of the West Monroe-West Ouachita Chamber of Commerce, Mr. A.O. Evans. Mr. Evans was the manager of the Northern Division for Louisiana Power and Lights, now Entergy. In 1956, Mr. Evans successfully worked to establish the West Monroe Chamber of Commerce. Prior to that time, the Monroe-West Monroe Chamber served all of Ouachita Parish. Several businesses in West Monroe split with the Chamber and formed the West Monroe Merchants Association. Mr. Evans believed that by establishing a West Monroe Chamber of Commerce, the organization could accomplish far more. The West Monroe Chamber was chartered on March 31, 1956 with Mr. Evans as the first President.
Mr. Evans was dedicated and committed to West Monroe and worked to make the city an outstanding place to live, work, and raise a family. Mr. Evans embodied the characteristics of the people the award honors.
Past recipients include: A.T. Mitchell, Fred Bennett, Sr. , F.C. McConnell, Jesse Heard, Hugh Balfour, Louis Gruber, Jeff Caldwell, Jr., John Grantham, Alton Calhoun, Margaret Truly, George Welch, Bernard Biedenharn, Bert Hatten, Ike Hamilton, Bill Nelson, Jr., Jack Grable, Charles Morgan, Edward Stinson, Jr., Helen LeFevre, Alice Bennett, Eugene Smith, Clifton Tennison, Evelyn Blackmon, Sidney Wilhite, Cary Davis, Peggy Price Ford, Violet Liner, Arlan Rawls, Raymond Ford, Linda Lavender Ford, Ron Downing, Susan Hoffmann, Dr. August Danti, Judge “Bill” Norris, Jerry Lazenby, Laymon Godwin, Don Shows, Gretchen Kovac, Wade Bishop, Tex Kilpatrick, Blake Wheelis, Johnny Huntsman, Dr. Terry King, Doug Caldwell, Jean Halsell, and The Honorable Dave Norris.
Qualifications to be considered:
1. This person has made outstanding contributions to the well-being, growth, and enhancement of the West Monroe-West Ouachita community over a period of years.
3. No current member of the WMWO Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors or elected official shall be considered for the Award.
4. A short biography of the nominee as well as contact information for the nominee including mailing address, phone number and email address, if applicable.
Johnny E. Huntsman Entrepreneurial Success Award
The West Monroe-West Ouachita Chamber of Commerce is currently taking nominations for the Johnny E. Huntsman Entrepreneurial Success Award. This award honors a current WMWO Chamber business member or individual member that exemplifies the true entrepreneurial spirit, using these three main areas:
- Employees — this company or individual will have employees that understand that it takes hard work, dedication and loyalty for their company to succeed.
- Management Style — this company will understand their managers must prepare their employees for success and reward them when they succeed.
- An entrepreneurial spirit — an internal company spirit that fosters growth, loyalty and a deep desire to succeed.
Applications should include the one-page essay addressing the above three (3) points.